Gorgeous minimalist photo of Hoyt Street above is from Quiet Stroll Through New York
- Bush turns 60; plans to celebrate mid-life crisis by picking a fight with another country.
- Google has officially arrived -"google" as a verb is now in Merriam-Webster's. Bling and soul-patch also make the cut. What were the hot new words of 1806?
- Manhattan real estate prices holding stable: average apartment $1.39 million; average condo $1.45 million
- Former owner of Brooklyn design firm charged with falsifying plans submitted to the Buildings Department
- Economic Development Corporation presents plans for development of Red Hook piers
- Ken Lay dies of a heart attack; ex-CEO of Enron had been convicted on six counts of fraud and one count of conspiracy and faced 12 to 25 years in prison. [Slate; NY Times; blogosphere reaction]
- Three Coca-Cola employees busted for trying to sell Coke formula to Pepsi
- File under ‘duh’: Scientists find that being drunk interferes with attention and perception
On the calendar today: