Friday, June 23, 2006

Costumes Galore This Weekend


mermaid 04 diaper pose pics, originally uploaded by dogseat.

This photo sums up the zaniness that I'm looking forward to this weekend. Today is the second annual Trans Day of Action, kicking off at 2:30 at Chelsea Park on West 28th between 9th and 10th. Heads up - the police refused to grant a permit, but it's going forward anyway. Saturday starts off with the Mermaid Parade at 2pm down at Coney Island. This'll be the first year that I've made it down and I can't wait. I'm going to try to stay sober enough to not break a leg on the broken boardwalk. Then somehow I'm going to haul ass up to Bryant Park by 5pm for the Dyke March. Oy. I'm going to be exhausted trying to hit it all. Hopefully the rain won't make the decision for me.

I'm hoping to get some good shots to add to a photo project of spectators at Pride. I like the idea of turning the camera back on the spectators. Some are really enthusiastic (left); others fall somewhere between bemused and horrified (right).

Sunday I'll probably avoid Pride, as per usual. If I never see another rainbow flag, ribbon, wrist band, blinking brooch, or cape, it won't be too soon. Instead, I think it's explore Brooklyn day. I've been meaning to get back out to the area in Red Hook where the Ikea is going to be built to see what's changed, and to try to scavenge some more metal. The physical therapist gave me the ok to get back on my bike, as long as I "don't go too crazy with it," so I'll be able to get back to my usual routine of biking and shooting. Perhaps no more alleycats though.

No comments: